Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Week One in the Field!


Diana with President and Sister Chambers
Well I have now been in the field for an entire week! That is insane. The area where I am serving is very beautiful, but windy! I have quickly learned that wearing a skirt on a windy day is not ideal, especially when on a bike. Hopefully I'll figure out a way to deal with that, so it's not an issue. But, hey you do what you gotta do sometimes. It's been really nice weather, mainly in the sixties or seventies. It rained the first couple days, but it's been pretty clear the past few days. It's gonna start cooling down soon though, or so everyone keeps warning us- usually followed by some assurance that we will be colder than we ever have been before and that we'll probably freeze and/or die. Yeah, the people here can be a tad dramatic. But I seriously love them. The people here are awesome. We've gotten some glares from children in the area, but mostly everyone's been incredibly nice. Everyone's always trying to give us food and rides. The rides are nice when we have to go to the other side of our area, since we don't have a car. But it's also a little freaky when random strangers just pull over to the side of the road and offer a ride. We usually don't accept those. The people are great though. 
My companion and I live with the Relief Society president in one of the wards we cover. (all the missionaries in our mission live with members). She is seriously the best. She's always making sure we have food and asking us if our mothers would approve of the meals we ate. It's pretty hilarious, and when she thinks we haven't been eating well she'll go buy food and just put it on our designated shelves. "Mysterious" food keeps appearing there, so we know she doesn't think we're eating enough. She runs a photography studio downstairs (which is where our bathroom is) so we see a lot of random pregnant women and babies (that's the kind of photography she specializes in). I seriously love the work. I love having the opportunity every day to tell people how much God loves them. It's awesome to see His miracles, and to see people that understand, maybe for the first time, how much God wants to bless their lives. I know Heavenly Father sent me here to help the people, and I'm so grateful I have the opportunity to be helped. I am so excited to keep teaching people here how they can be happy and be with their families forever. We attended our first baptism on Sunday morning, and it was awesome. I love seeing people make commitments to follow Jesus Christ and Heavenly Father. They truly are the only way we can be happy. I know Heavenly Father is watching over us and over all of you. I know that He has a plan for each of us, and He's going to always help us when we ask for His help. The gospel is amazing. I'm so glad that I am here!

No comments:

Post a Comment